Sunday 4 October 2009

Contemporary Culture Is Empty

What sort of culture is mind-expanding? Would it be the earnest self-improving ethic of the upwardly mobile artisanate a century ago? Am I being unrealistic when I described the "Friarshill Culture" - the developing Souls, the pupils of Friarshill School who impress Distinguished Visitor Lincoln Steen so much that he settles in Wales?

I try to make a mark on each day. In a hoped for thereafter I will be judged by my dogged persistence to live according to the exacting Code of Behaviour which I myself, not Alan Wright, thought out. Yet whenever I have shown my good faith by sharing the fruits of my mind I get rebuffed. Philosophers like JS Mill have observed the chasm between popular culture and high-brow culture. Mill said that "poetry is superior to shove-halfpenny". American predatory capitalism devalues almost everything in life.

I have been in trouble for echoing Mill in some of my literary works, one of which is about a sunset I enjoyed. Now in one essay of mine I describe how in Avalonshire, successive generations of boys build Hornby type model trains and how model trains built by my generation are SACRED OBJECTS for the descendants of Avalonians. This led to successive generations of Avalonians becoming leaders and pace-setters as by their polymathy they engineer a worldwide moral revolution.

For the Avalonians, they hold that they are repeatedly incarnated to bestow ENDEOFACTS upon all whom they have dealings with. I coined the word ENDEOFACT to denote "a manifestation of God within someone" and that paramountly encompasses loyal service, freely given. The reward for struggling to live an exemplary life is the faculty to enjoy such gifts from God as a rowan in berry, every berry luminously red in the autumn sun.

I describe the ultimate joy through the voice of a proud father whose adult daughter teaches an EXTRATERRESTRIAL how to play a cathedral organ and the duo play with panache the sacred melodies of old Earth to the listening cosmos. I define wealth as the fully developed potential within each of us made manifest indeed, in joyful giving of oneself. Now as the hourglass of my life runs low I am very bitter that I am denied the means to give of myself, whilst contemporary culture scorns all that I value in myself.

David Seagrave, "Grosvenor", Shandwick Place, Edinburgh, 8.25pm, 26-9-09.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers